Visit one of the busiest city squares in Rome while enjoying the comfort of Segway.
The Piazza Navona in Rome is one of the world's most famous city squares. You can see several wonderful examples of Baroque Roman architecture and art.
Piazza Navona attractions
- Fountain of the Four Rivers
- Obelisk of Domitian
- Church of Sant'Agnese in Agone
- Pamphili palace
- Fountain of Neptune
- Moor Fountain
This city square used to be a public space until the end of the 15th century, when the city market was transferred here. Pope Innocent X (born Giovanni Battista Pamphilj) is responsible for the transformation of Piazza Navona, during his reign from 1644-1655. Innocent's family palace, the Palazzo Pamphili, faced the piazza. You can take impressive pictures of the Moor Fountain with Pamhilj's palace in background directly from Segway during our guided seightseeing tour.
Piazza Navona at night
All the baroque statues and buildings are illuminated at night (see our Segway Panoramic Night Tour). This makes the segway night tour an unforgettable romantic experience. You can enjoy the power of history and the magic of Rome.
Piazza Navona name origins
The piazza was built on the place where used to be the Stadium Domitian and the ancient Romans came there to enjoy the agones ("games"), and therefore it was referred as 'Circus Agonalis' (game arena). It is believed that over the centuries the name changed to 'in avone' to 'navone' and eventually to 'navona'.
Piazza Navona briefly
- built on the former site of the Stadium of Domitian
- artworks of Baroque artists Bernini and Borromini
- Pope Innocence X lived there
- Baroque and Renaissance fountains
- several Baroque buildings
- one of many obelisks in Rome
- size about 250m by 35m
Fountain of the Four Rivers
Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi was designed in 1651 by Gian Lorenzo Bernini exclusively for the Pope Innocence X. Travertine rocks rise from the centre of the fountain's basin to support four river gods - Nile for Africa, Danube for Europe, Ganges for Asia and Río de la Plata for Americas. There is the Obelisk of Domitian above them, an ancient piece with the Pamphili family emblem of a dove with an olive twig.
Obelisk of Domitian
Obelisco Domiziano or Obelisco Agonale is part of the Fountain of the Four Rivers. The Egyptian obelisk is 16 meters high, built in AD 81 and brought to Rome by Emperor Caracalla.
Church of Sant'Agnese in Agone
Chiesa di Sant'Agnese in Agone stands in the middle of the Piazza Navona with Fountain of the Four Rivers in front of the building. A number of leading architects were involved in the construction of the church: Girolamo Rainaldi as a well-known conservative Mannerist, his son Carlo Rainaldi who worked mainly in the new Baroque style, and two of the foremost Baroque architects of the day Francesco Borromini and the sculptor Gianlorenzo Bernini. The Pope Innocent X was a prominent sponsor of the church. His family residence stands next to the church.
Palazzo Pamphilj is a family palace of the Pope Innocent X (born Giovanni Battista Pamphilj) built in the Baroque style in 1644 and 1650. There Since 1920 there is the Brazilian Embassy in Italy in the palace. Pope hired the esteemed Italian artists for the construction and subsequent decoration of the palace: architects Girolamo Rainaldi and Francesco Borromini, painters Agostino Tassi and Pietro da Cortona and the rooms on the first floor have frescoes and friezes by artists such as Giacinto Gimignani, Gaspard Dughet, Andrea Camassei, Giacinto Brandi, Francesco Allegrini, and Pier Francesco Mola.
Fontana del Moro is in the south of the Piazza. This Renaissance fountain is decorated by a culpture of a doplhin and four Tritons. The statues and the basin of rose-colored marble was sculpted by Giacomo della Porta in 1575. Gian Lorenzo Bernini added a Baroque statue of a Moor wrestling a dolphin a century later by request of the Pope Innocent X.
Fountain of Neptune
Fontana del Nettuno is the northern fountain with the statue of Neptune. This fountain, originally built in 1574 without the sculptures, is the work of Giacomo della Porta. But it was added to the Piazza 300 years later by Antonio della Bitta to make the city square more symetrical. Bitta completed the fountain with his sculpture of the Neptune fighting with an octopus and Gregorio Zappalà sculptured the other pieces.